About your trip
Discover a lesser-known side of Jordan. On this eight-day journey, you’ll explore the extraordinary Lost City of Petra (without the crowds), snorkel in the Red Sea and sleep under the stars at a luxury glamping site in the desert. But not before the chance to tuck into authentic Arabic street food in Amman, sip local wines and explore the ancient Roman ruins of Jerash. You’ll also learn to cook Jordanian-style, kick up some dust on a 4x4 tour of Wadi Rum and soak your weary limbs in the purifying waters of the Dead Sea. Avid adventurers, this trip is made for you.
- Explore the Lost City of Petra via a lesser-known route
- Sleep beneath the stars in the Wadi Rum desert
- Float in the healing waters of the Dead Sea
- Swim and snorkel from a boat in the Red Sea
- Learn to cook, Jordanian-style
- Sample Arabic street food in Amman
You will be met at Queen Alia International Airport and whisked to a luxury hotel in the centre of Amman. Drop your bags and refresh with a quick dip in the rooftop pool overlooking the city below. Come late afternoon, you’ll meet our Local Insider – they’ll be accompanying the group throughout the trip. At 6pm, if you haven’t already, you’ll meet your fellow travellers over a welcome dinner at the hotel – the rest of the evening is for chatting and relaxing.
After fuelling up at breakfast, we’ll be driving an hour north across open desert to take a hike through history in Jerash, one of the most important and best-preserved Roman cities in the Middle East. Later, we'll pick up the trail back in Amman, taking in the Citadel and the Roman Theatre, and learn about local customs (and costumes) at the Jordan Folklore Museum. By the time you’ve strolled the old markets and the Al-Husseini Mosque, you’ll have worked up an appetite – luckily, our next activity is a street-food tour, which includes a stop stop at a local restaurant, where we’ll tuck into authentic Falafel and Hummus. Come evening, and you’ll be drinking in the history of this magical place – literally, with a tasting session of Jordanian wines. We reckon you’ll sleep well tonight.
Leaving Amman behind, this morning we’ll drive three hours south through Jordan’s timeless desert landscape to the ancient Nabatean city of Petra. Entering the high-walled canyon is like stepping through a portal into another world – you’ll come face-to-face with extraordinary edifices, from the Siq to the Treasury, carved directly into the red rock walls. In the evening, we’ll head to the village of Umm Sayhoun where you’ll take part in a cookery class in a local family’s home, learning how to whip up a traditional Jordanian meal, from appetisers through to dessert.
There’s more to Petra than meets the eye – you’ve had an initial glimpse of some of its most well-known sights already, but today we’ll take you to a place fewer visitors make it to. We’ll start off by driving to Little Petra, home to the extraordinary frescoes of the Biclinium. From here, you’ll transfer to a 4x4 for a shortcut to the ‘backdoor route’ into Petra, a one-to-two-hour hike that winds up through the Wadi Ghrab mountains to Petra’s Monastery, before descending an ancient staircase back down into the main Petra site. The hiking route will give you a second bite of Petra’s main sights (the Treasury), before ending at your hotel. The rest of the afternoon is yours to spend however you like – perhaps sloughing off the desert heat in the hotel’s rooftop pool?
After breakfast at your hotel this morning, we’ll leave Petra and head south to the extraordinary Wadi Rum. It’s not hard to see why it has been picked as the setting for a number of sci-fi blockbusters, from Star Wars to The Martian. You’ll get your own piece of the action on a four-hour 4x4 tour that delves deeper into this otherworldly landscape. At each stop you’ll have the opportunity to explore in your own time – scrambling your way up dunes for unforgettable views. Come evening, you’ll have the chance to see the night skies like never before, with a mind-blowing stargazing experience.
By now, you may well be ready for a break from the desert heat. In which case, today’s itinerary will be just the ticket. We’ll be speeding across the sand to the port town of Aqaba on the Red Sea, where you’ll board a boat bound for the coral reefs. Spend the best part of the day exploring these technicoloured underwater worlds with a snorkel and flippers, before surfacing for a slap-up lunch on board. Refreshed, you’ll be dropped off back in Aqaba where you’ll have the afternoon and evening free to explore its cafes and markets.
After breakfast, we’ll check out of Aqaba and drive to the Dead Sea for the last night of the tour. Here, you’ll check into your 5 start resort after passing the Mujib Biosphere Reserve, the lowest nature reserve on earth. You’ll have the opportunity to float in the dense Dead Sea, kick back with a final sunbathing session, or ask our Local Insider about a dramatic hike along the Wadi Mujib Canyon trail – if the weather and season allow for it. We’ll also tuck into a delicious local ‘farewell’ lunch, – the perfect way to wrap up a truly special trip.
After a final breakfast you’ll be picked up and driven to Amman Airport, where you can swap details with your new travel buddies before heading home – or onwards, to new adventures!
- Five nights premium hotel accommodation
- One night luxury desert glamping accommodation
- One night Dead Sea Resort
- Private and local transport
- Seven breakfasts, four lunches, four dinners
- Local Insider
- Return airport transfers to Queen Alia International Airport (AMM)
- Street food dinner tour
- Visit to Jerash and tour
- Amman city tour
- Wine tasting
- Petra visit (over two days)
- Umm Sayhoun cooking class
- Aqaba boat ride
- Experience the Dead Sea
What's Not Included
- Travel Insurance
- Flights to and from the destination
The House Boutique Suites
The rooftop pool, suspended high above the Amman rooftops, is a real highlight at this boutique hotel. Sleep off your jetlag in a comfortable plush room with floor-to-ceiling windows allowing natural light to flood in. End the day with a nightcap at the open-air bar.
Petra Guest House Hotel
You couldn’t be better placed to explore the ancient city of Petra than from the comfort of the Petra Guest House Hotel, just steps away from the area’s most famous archaeological sites. Enjoy mountain views from your bedroom and authentic, local delicacies in the main restaurant and tasty cocktails in the trendy cave bar.
Memories Aicha Luxury Camp - Junior Tent
This desert ‘camp’, tucked away in a sheltered rocky canyon, takes glamping to the next level – tents are furnished like standalone hotel suites, with a King Bed, air-conditioning and an ensuite bathroom with a shower. We particularly love the onsite shisha cafe built into the cliffside.
Sink your toes into the private sandy beach, just in front of the InterContinental Aqaba. This luxury resort occupies a prime position on Jordan’s Red Sea. Plush rooms include sea view balconies as standard. Head down to the circular beachfront bar for sundowners and nibbles.
Holiday Inn Dead Sea Resort
Set on the banks of the Dea Sea, this 5 star resort is the perfect place to enjoy your final night of the trip. Swim, sunbathe and soak up the friendly, relaxed atmosphere as you make use of the outdoor pools, wander the gardens or use the health club. There are 3 onsite bars and restaurants and the rooms are stunning - complete with elegant furniture and soothing colour schemes. You'll feel right at home.
Your safety and wellbeing are our top priority, so we’ve put the following measures in place on all our TRIPS:
- Please check the entry requirements for the destination you are travelling to. Our travel experts can assist you in finding this information.
- We recommend you confirm all guidance on official government sites and check that you are able to travel with your travel insurance issuer. Your travel insurance may be invalidated if you travel against government advice. Our travel experts can assist you in finding this information.
- You must be aged 25 years or over to join this trip.
- Please be sure to check whether or not you need a visa to enter the country you're travelling to. Please refer to our Booking Terms & Conditions for further information.
- If you have any pre-existing medical conditions or accessibility requirements, please notify our Customer Support team as soon as possible.
- We won't charge you extra if you travel alone – you'll be allocated a twin room with another traveller of the same gender.
- To upgrade to a private room, share a room with a friend, or book pre- and post-trip accommodation and/or airport transfers, please contact our Customer Support team.
- Please be aware that travel insurance is compulsory for all travellers.
- Please be aware that the itinerary, activities and hotels are subject to change. While unlikely, these changes can happen due to circumstances beyond our control. We will always do our best to ensure minimal impact on your experience.
- Please be aware images on this page are for illustrative purposes and may not reflect your itinerary exactly.
- PLEASE NOTE - FROM 2024 - THE FINAL NIGHT ACCOMMODATION WILL MOVE TO THE HOLIDAY INN DEAD SEA RESORT
If you cancel 56 days or more before your scheduled departure date, you will receive a 100% refund. Otherwise, the total cost of your trip is:
- 100% payable if you cancel 29 days or less before your departure date.
- 50% payable if you cancel between 30 - 55 days before your departure date.
Please note you can only book this trip in advance up to 14 days before the departure date. After this time the trip may be booked on request.
Terms & Conditions
Please refer to our Booking Terms & Conditions.